Skip to main content

First signs of autumn

More color in trees
It's official: Summer's over. Temperatures dropped from 20 degrees (Celsius) to around 10'ish from last Wednesday to Friday. Trees have started to change their color and I got a first impression what power the notorious 'wind chill factor' has when walking across the street from one heated building to the next. It's not yet winter (obviously), but it's surely not summer anymore either.
Daft as I am, I underestimated just how much the temperatures might drop over here at night. So, when I visited friends on Saturday, I boldly dressed in jeans, t-shirt and a jumper - ergo, neither coat nor jacket. Considering that people were walking around in shorts and t-shirts just last week, I thought I had my basics covered. Well ... let's just say, I was very lucky getting the bus back right away. Another 5 minutes waiting and I might have turned blue.
Raining heavy
Anyway, I arrived in town around midnight in a subway full of people. As I soon learned, the so called 'nuit blanche' was happening. There were big crowds everywhere. Hence I assumed there must be something really interesting going on. Well, if there was, I didn't get it. I spend an hour asking people, reading leaflets and stopping by at marked points. I still have no idea what got all those people into downtown. I'll ask around at work tomorrow, maybe some of my colleagues can enlighten me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Years beyond

Many, many years later I'm finally willing to put some time into this blog again. I saw the last post was about a car I bought 3 or 4 cars ago. So it's been a minute.  Today life is different from then. My "firsts" are mostly experiences with the kids, not purchases. Canada as an experience has become tamed and normal for me. Mind you with small kids I have not explored Canada as a whole as much. As with COVID-19 I'm bound to my office at home - similar to many other office workers. So the kids have become a great source of distraction.  I will admit that I'm not missing the commute from the suburbs of the GTA in my daily routing. I like to think that this gives me roughly 90 to 120 minutes back in my day. However considering that I'm crowded every time I want to grab a quick coffee upstairs it probably is be much less.  And yes, I'm in the basement. The coolest and quietest of all the places in the house. Unfortunately, it's also the ugliest and d...

Black Friday

I've tried so far to keep tech out of my blog. Despite all of my previous effort, I decided to break with tradition for this entry. Recently, I bought a MacBook Air which is slick, stylish, lightweight, surprisingly fast and definitely on the pricey side. Actually since it matters for this entry, I have to be a little more precise. I bought the laptop mid November. My old one is almost utterly useless since it gets hot as hell when you 'sleep' deprive it for more than 10 min. As I tend to do, I payed up at once and forgot about the expense almost just as quick. Now, for the next part I have to explain something that not everyone may be aware of. Thanksgiving is a much bigger holiday here in North America than it was in Europe. There is turkey dinner and pumpkin carving and costumes and other traditions that Europeans just don't do, even though at least Germany has the holiday ("Erntedankfest") as well. The date when this happens is a different one for the...

Cherry Blossom in High Park

I have not been very consistent adding posts to the blog. Maybe I can change that now that I finally got around to get a new phone with a better camera; but then again... No promises. As an easy enough start I'm sharing some photos I took in High Park today. The cherry trees are in bloom and both smell and sight are an experience not to be missed. Only drawback are the herds of photo hungry weekend visitors that swarm these few trees like locusts. Nevertheless, I managed to steal a few moments to get my own photo shoot done. I reckon that the quality of the pictures is good enough to share them on the blog. So my thinking is that I can write entries and attach photos on the go. Then, when I get home I'll just do the touch up. That should make it way more convenient for me to add posts. Maybe that's all it takes for me to keep this blog going... I guess we'll find out when I actually get around to make my next entry ;)