Skip to main content

Years beyond

Many, many years later I'm finally willing to put some time into this blog again. I saw the last post was about a car I bought 3 or 4 cars ago. So it's been a minute. 

Today life is different from then. My "firsts" are mostly experiences with the kids, not purchases. Canada as an experience has become tamed and normal for me. Mind you with small kids I have not explored Canada as a whole as much.
As with COVID-19 I'm bound to my office at home - similar to many other office workers. So the kids have become a great source of distraction. 
I will admit that I'm not missing the commute from the suburbs of the GTA in my daily routing. I like to think that this gives me roughly 90 to 120 minutes back in my day. However considering that I'm crowded every time I want to grab a quick coffee upstairs it probably is be much less. 
And yes, I'm in the basement. The coolest and quietest of all the places in the house. Unfortunately, it's also the ugliest and darkest part of our dwelling. 
We have been in lock-down for 4 months now and I have pretty much settled into a routine. It's hard at times to distinguish the weekend from the work week.
I won't complain about the situation at home or working from a basement though. I think we have it pretty good here. I know there is a lot of people out there that have lost their job, health or even life. 

But enough about myself, let's do a 360 and find out what has changed in our world.

The most obvious change is the caused by the emergence of the SARS-COV-2 virus that causes COVID-19. In March 2020 it became a recognized issue here in the GTA and even a pandemic worldwide. So by mid March I was working from home and that brought on a number of changes already mentioned. 
Stock markets reacted with fear and regulators even shot the trading down for stretches of time. In short notice the FED and eventually the Bank of Canada started adding vast amounts of currency to the economies. Eventually the funds showed up in the stock market and the markets bounced right back in a few short weeks. The never ending upwards trend attracted retail investors - mostly unexperienced parties; think baby with a loaded gun. The additional funds pushed the market even higher. I'm a noob in stock markets, but even I would wager a guess that this cannot last forever.
At the same time the virus had spread to a deadly level around the world that no one any longer should drive comparisons to a "bad flu". Treatments are getting better and less people by percentage die every day, still the situation is dire and regions and states are locking down. Locally, here in Canada a sense of victory has allowed the government to open for business again in a try to revive a halted economy. Unfortunately with that directive many citizens have begun to grossly underestimate the virus and caution has deteriorated. 
I don't want to catch that thing! I don't want my family to catch it! 
Even with a mild case you can be left with permanent damages to vital organs. I personally don't feel like a round of Russian roulette. 

In all of this I have learned that statistics are mostly for show and to bring home a point. Numbers can be faked or even just interpreted to which ever point you want to make. Also in fear, we give up liberties very willingly to feel safe. 

It feels like a great wave of change is yet to come. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Friday

I've tried so far to keep tech out of my blog. Despite all of my previous effort, I decided to break with tradition for this entry. Recently, I bought a MacBook Air which is slick, stylish, lightweight, surprisingly fast and definitely on the pricey side. Actually since it matters for this entry, I have to be a little more precise. I bought the laptop mid November. My old one is almost utterly useless since it gets hot as hell when you 'sleep' deprive it for more than 10 min. As I tend to do, I payed up at once and forgot about the expense almost just as quick. Now, for the next part I have to explain something that not everyone may be aware of. Thanksgiving is a much bigger holiday here in North America than it was in Europe. There is turkey dinner and pumpkin carving and costumes and other traditions that Europeans just don't do, even though at least Germany has the holiday ("Erntedankfest") as well. The date when this happens is a different one for the

French Canada

After the first night sleep, the first day was mainly retracing steps of my previous visits in Montreal. As it so happened, there was actually a parade on for the winter Olympia teams this very day. BTW, for all those who didn't watch any of the last games, Canada is crazy about winter sports... and excels in it too. So there were a lot of heroes to be cheered for and the streets were packed. Having had a wonderful day in Montreal, my trip brought me to Trois-Rivieres on Saturday. In this the (very small) city I did my internship in 2005. So it had been a while since I was there last. And I was quite happy to see that so many things were pretty much as I remembered. The main reason to come to this 150,000 francophone citizen strong town was to meet with two of my colleagues/friends from my already mentioned internship. We enjoyed Moroccan food and caught up on ... well, just sooooo many things. Now I'm already looking forward to meeting you guys again. And I promise we can ma

Seasons

One of my points for choosing Canada as my new home, was the fact that they have all the seasons. A tough winter as well as a hot summer. Nevertheless, I didn't expect to have all seasons in less than a week. Yesterday in Montreal, I walked the streets in a T-shirt. Today however, (Quelle surprise!) I woke up to a snow storm. For most parts, the snow melted before hitting the ground. So it wasn't too much of a problem driving. Nonetheless, I haven't seen snow density like this for years. And it only turned into snow/rain when finally arriving in Ottawa. Anyway, apart from snowfall at the end of April, there was a lot of fun to be had. I've been meeting friends/colleagues from my internship in Trois-Rivieres in 2005 (see previous) entry. A whole bunch of them now work in Montreal. So I had the chance to visit their workplace, which was very interesting. Only one of them had time for a few pints after work, which was extremely enjoyable still. Today, due to the weathe